The Most Important Gift We Have Received: The Gift of Eternal life
What Does Eternal life Mean to You?
I know a lot of people have wandered what is meant, Some have even deliberated on the possibility of it meaning “never drying” or “Living Forever”. A large populace view it as the life after the present life we are living. I.e the life beyond this life…Believers hold a similar view to this. To Christians eternal life is God’s precious gift to his children through the death and resurrection of Christ.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.John 3:16
When Jesus died for us he took the judgement of God concerning us along side with our sin, before now man was headed for eternal damnation. But when Jesus died, he broke the power of death, he died to our sinful nature that caused death and resurrected to life, giving us a new life. Jesus didn’t just give us a new life but he gave us a life that is eternal; the nature of the life we received is not temporal, even at dead those who have been saved continue to leave with the father because the have overcame the power of death.
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.John 5:29
As believers we have this new, refreshing assurance of life after death that just as Jesus Christ died and resurrected, we also resurrected with him and at the end of the world we will yet resurrect to live forever. Believers!!! as we live on earth: those who have truly accepted Gods salvation, we no longer live in fear of death. Apostle Paul wished to communicate the value of life after death to believers, when he said in the book Philippians:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.Philippians 1:21
There is no greater gift and there is no greater meaning to the death of Christ than the gift of eternal life through the death of Christ, it is out of love that Jesus Christ sent his son to die for our sins, God did not want us to perish so he sacrificed his son so we may have eternal life, I called a a gift because we did not earn it, neither did we ask for it but God did it out of his love for us, even when we were still sinners He gave his son to die for our Sins. So even as we live daily we must not take this for granted but must work towards securing this gift.
What Responsibility Does Christ Death Place on us?
Written by: Adgidzi Immanuel Akpus
The death of Jesus Christ took place some 2000 years ago before many witnesses who told others of the incident that happened before them. Aside what was seen in the physical that day, the scripture explains that there were things that occurred as a result of that death that was witnessed that day.
Some of these spiritual occurrences include:
- When Jesus died, He went down to hell.(Acts 2:31, Ephesians 4:9)
- He killed the flesh (human nature) and its lustful desire. (Galatians 5:24)
- He also disarmed and made a public display of the forces of darkness. (Colossians 2:15).
Seeing what Christ has done by His death and as He said “It is finished”, signifying that He would not repeat the process any longer. As a Christian it is therefore expected (as a responsibility for me):
- Accept the death of Christ upon my flesh (Dying to sin daily and living to Christ).
I ought to die to worldly pleasures of sin. I ought to die to lust, lies, fornication, orgies, alcoholism,stealing and the likes.
- The death of Jesus Christ should bring to me as a believer the responsibility of telling others about God’s faithfulness in fulfilling what He promised that Jesus would die for the sins of man as seen in (Isaiah 53:1-9)
- The death of Jesus Christ should confer on me the desire to repent from sin and be baptized(Romans 6:3-4)
- It should put a responsibility on me to live a righteous and holy life knowing that Christ died once and for all. (Hebrews 10:10).
- The death of Christ places on me the responsibility of living in freedom, for i am no longer a slave but a son of a king who has giving me a mandate to rule. We are kings and Queens in Christ Jesus, so we must rule in whatever sphere of life we find our self; by his death, the responsibility of leadership has been placed on us.
- Another great responsibility we must keep up with daily is love, we must love one another just as Christ loved us, we must remember that we didn’t deserve any of this but Christ did all these for us out of his love for us. We must extend this love to one another the same way Christ did to us unconditionally. You must love your neighbor as your self which is the greatest commandment.
Finally thinking of the responsibility the death of Christ has placed on me point to nothing but the great commission.
The Great Commission
Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.Matthew 28: 16-20
In conclusion, the whole essence of this one week exercise is not to waste your time going over what you probably have the best Knowledge of, but to help us have a another look at the Cross very deeply and remind ourselves of what the cross did and what it really means to our life. This also is for us to really reflect on and begin to point our area of our life that we have constantly ignored in relation to this and trust the Holy Spirit to work on it. Personally for me, In the course of this one week journey I have reflected on every of this word and have made personally decisions to work on myself to become better and i think you can do that too.
Important: Thank You so much for reading this far, “Get Inspired Today” Loves You and Appreciate your every effort … check back more often. I am working on a new website and would communicate the link to you very soon, so you can, follow and subscribe to it…YOU can comment below and follow this blog to get more updates!!!
Written by: Faith Akatiki and Akpus Immanuel Adgidzi